JUMIA

addynamo

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Reporter Petitions IGP Over Threats By Lagos Police Spokeswoman Ngozi Braide

Lucky Lawal, the PM News reporter who had an altercation with the Lagos State Public Relations Officer, Deputy Superintendent of Police Ngozi Braide, has written to the Inspector General of Police alleging threat to life and defamation of character by Ms. Braide.
On February 28, in a story published by SaharaReporters, Ms. Lawal anonymously disclosed that the police spokesperson threatened her at the Police Command when she went there to confirm a story. On March 2, it was learned that Ms. Braide had been queried by the police for a previous incident in which she had allegedly fought with a superior female officer, identified as Cynthia Ibeama, over a parking spot.
The Lagos Police spokeswoman, apparently angry at reports of that brawl, in which she may have been indecently exposed, reportedly told Ms. Lawal in the February 28 encounter that members of the media were peddling lies about the incident. “Miss Braide went on to call me all sorts of names and accused me of blackmail,” she said.
“She went on to order me to leave the office but I told her that I will not leave because the Lagos State PPRO's office is a public office and does not belong to her. At this point she got up from her seat and charged towards me as if she wanted to fight me. I still stood waiting to see what she will do next. She walked towards me and she said, ‘Take your dirty body out of my office. This is my office.
You and your friends can go on to say all things and blackmail me. I don't care.’ At this point some journalists held her and prevented her from fighting me." In her complaint to the IGP, Ms. Lawal reiterated those elements, saying they were published and confirmed by people who were present when the incident took place, stressing that she had herself already left the premises.

Listing several questions she would like the IGP to ask of Ms. Braide, the reporter said, “Sir, I would be glad if you can investigate this matter promptly as I am scared for my life and that of my family because if DSP Braide can lie on the pages of newspaper about me, then one cannot say what she can do next as she is very desperate.” " Ms. Lawal was not the only person that faced death threats from the Lagos PPRO Ms. Braide, on March 2nd 2013, a twitter handle @sexuwant believed to be used by one of her associates threatened bodily harm against the publisher of SaharaReporters as follows:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share it


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

JUMIA

View My Stats